Helping you understand the types of car insurance coverage

What are the different types of car insurance coverage?

Car insurance coverage can be divided into two primary categories

    1. Liability coverage which protects other drivers and their property from damage you cause in an accident.
    2. Physical Damage protection is made up of 2 main pieces which protect your vehicle
        1. Collision
        2. Comprehensive

Liability car insurance covers bodily injury and property damage

Liability insurance is the most basic form of auto insurance and is considered a social good as it covers others and does not cover you or your vehicle in an accident.

What Liability coverage does protect is other drivers from bodily injury or property damage you cause in an at-fault accident.

Liability coverage is required by almost every state in order to legally drive and register your vehicle.

Liability coverage comprises two key coverages of Bodily Injury and Property Damage.


Bodily injury liability car insurance covers injuries caused by an at-fault driver. Alongside physical injuries, bodily injury liability covers pain and suffering, loss of income, and other expenses for which you may be deemed liable after a vehicle collision.

Bodily injury liability insurance is mandatory coverage in every state except Florida and New Hampshire and helps to cover:

    • Medical bills caused by injuries
    • Emotional and physical pain or suffering
    • Wages lost or diminished earning capacity caused by accident

Property damage liability coverage pays for damage to another person’s property or any loss-of-use costs for which you’re found liable.

Property damage liability coverage helps to cover expenses like:

    • Vehicle damage and repairs
    • Repair of damaged structures
    • Debris removed as a result of an incident (trees, signage, etc.)


Click on Liability Insurance to learn more about what it is, covers, doesn’t cover.

Collision auto insurance will pay to fix your car if it collides with another vehicle or fixed object.

What’s covered by collision insurance:

    • Property damage to your vehicle sustained in a collision
    • Property damage sustained by hitting a fixed object, such as a house, tree, or wall
    • Damage to your vehicle caused by a hit-and-run driver
    • Damage sustained after losing control of your vehicle potentially due to ice or hydroplaning
    • Damage caused by hitting a pothole

Routine wear and tear are not covered by comprehensive auto insurance. For that coverage, you should look for a vehicle warranty.  Luckily we have the best in the industry for you with Arkay.

Click on Collision Insurance to learn more about what it is, covers, doesn’t cover.

Comprehensive coverage insures against damage that does not occur as a result of collision with another car.

Comprehensive insurance is an additional coverage available as an option with most car insurance policies.

It covers damage caused by or related to weather (hail, flood, lightning, etc.), theft, animals (like hitting a deer), and vandalism.

It is coverage for your car from things that aren’t covered by collision coverage (coverage for your vehicle colliding with something.


Click on Comprehensive Insurance to learn more about what it is, covers, doesn’t cover.

What are the additional coverages with car insurance?

Liability, collision, and comprehensive are the main insurance coverages. Liability is required in almost every state and collision and comprehensive is required in most states for drivers leasing or financing their vehicles. 

Below are additional coverages which are options when buying car insurance.

    • Car Insurance Endorsements
    • Car Storage Insurance
    • Accident Forgiveness Coverage
    • Total Loss Coverage
    • Stacked vs. Unstacked Car Insurance
    • New Car Replacement Coverage
    • New Car Grace Period Coverage
    • Mechanical Breakdown Coverage

Brigade Insurance isn't like the rest

Brigade Insurance does not partner with any lead generators. We never sell your information.

We earn money by helping you get insured.

You can start the process online or reach out by phone 1-877-865-2111 to speak to one of our licensed agents as our in-house agency is licensed to write policies for many of the top insurance companies.